It is our goal at Veritas Academy to satisfy our distinctly classical, college-preparatory academic agenda with rigorous and relevant curricula. We solidify our curricular choices by evaluating them using the following criteria:
Academic validity, accuracy, and excellence as supported by the classical approach to education
Firm grounding in biblical absolutes to allow ease of biblical integration throughout all course materials
Parent-friendly, teacher-directed lessons with a secondary component of experiential, hands-on activities as a means to solidify previously imparted knowledge
Classical education expects more from its students than a basic mastery of a set of subjects. It holds firm to the traditions of Western culture in viewing all subjects as inextricably linked, each in its way expressing some fundamental truth about God and the universe He created. As characterized by the grammar stage of classical education, Veritas Academy emphasizes the accumulation of basic facts through the use of authentic literature and resources within the chronological progression of historical time periods.
The goal of the Trivium is mastery of language. A large portion of our curriculum is devoted to reaching this goal.
- School of Grammar (K-6): Phonics Museum, Logic of English, First Language Lessons, Well-Ordered Language, Institute for Excellence in Writing, Song School Latin, Latin for Children
- School of Logic (7-8): Institute for Excellence in Writing, Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind, Veritas Press Omnibus, Latin Alive
- School of Rhetoric (9-12): The Rhetoric Companion, Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student, Veritas Press Omnibus, Rhetoric Alive, Latin Alive, AP Latin
School of Rhetoric
Grades 9-12 are some of the most important formative years in a child’s life. Children tend to solidify their belief system amidst the struggle with incorporating the foundational principles that they have learned previously with the present realities of a Godless world. At Veritas, we seek to assist parents in training up children in the way that they should go so that when they are old, they WILL NOT depart from it. As such the Rhetoric phase of life at Veritas seeks to focus on the following ideals:
- Loving the Lord with ALL your heart, mind, soul and strength
- Loving your neighbor as yourself
- The fear of the Lord
- Owning one’s faith
- Defending one’s faith
- Learning to think with Godly wisdom
The School of Rhetoric is the culmination of the trivium. In the Rhetoric Stage, students take all they have learned in the Grammar and Logic Stages and learn how to present themselves in a wise and winsome manner. The emphases of all classes in the Rhetoric Stage are writing and speaking well. In addition to the classes listed below we offer various fine arts courses.
- Western Civilization III: Modern European History, Literature, Doctrine & Theology
- Latin III
- Logic II
- Fine Arts